With uncommon (for us) consistency we push on to the finish line with Project Doolittle. This week it’s “Mr. Grieves” with script lettering made of – not really hair. But it sure looks like hair. What it really is is tow (and boy did I have to look up the English name).

We put off this project for a while, expecting the material to be hard to work with, but it surprised us with its relatively pleasant point between flexibility and stiffness. It only took minimum amount of cursing and re-shaping the letters: I imagine it would be much harder to work with actual hair.


Two to go but we’re still deciding upon the last materials.


Project Doolittle continues today with “Hey.” As this is the shortest of the titles, we could choose a material that wouldn’t work with a long word. We have a whole collection of small empty syringes used during pregnancies. We kept them precisely to use for a future project. We filled them with colored inks and arranged into letters. This looks better up close because the result turned out quite delicate but the subtlety contrasts interestingly with the sort of emotional punch that the sight of a syringe gives many people.


Three designs to go and we’re getting there.


Continuing Project Doolittle, which honors the Pixies’ amazing album, we tackled “Crackity Jones” this week.

During Christmas clean-up of the house we found three jars of colored stones which were probably intended for plant pots but we had bought them with some unspecified future design project in mind. And this turned out to be the perfect opportunity to try them. (Also our older son had so much fun with helping that this turned out to be a perfect family activity, too.)

And yes, we designed the letters digitally before we made them tangible.

Front cover of the single.


Back cover.


The stencil.


Four more songs to go – and we’re working on it.


After a Valentine’s Day related interlude, we come back to the rest of the exhibitions about the gardens of Gdańsk, designed for the Museum of Gdańsk. The general explanation is here, in part one. Today’s photos show the other, pink room (and glimpses of the blue one) which focused on the philosophy of gardening in the 18th and 19th centuries.

A section on garden benches with a bench where a visitor could rest.


A glimpse of the original interior of the museum: a stucco ceiling.


The blue room held original art and a huge printout of a historical photo.


…and this guy.



Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

This year we are celebrating by returning to our old project which we never got to finish: Project Doolittle. Back when we started experimenting with tangible typography, we started a series of vinyl covers for songs from the Pixies’ album Doolittle. Life happened then and we only did a little over the half of those but as this years marks the 30th anniversary of the album, we decided to finish that work.

And we’re starting with “La La Love You” made from cookies and honey.


Front cover.


Back cover.


Making of (sticky work it was).


Did you know that Ikea cookies submerged in honey will float up? Now you do.


Lots of St. Valentine-y love, guys.


In this mostly-gray-sometimes-white winter it’s nice to think back on a summery project we did last year: an exhibition for the Museum of Gdańsk, entitled “The Gardens of Gdańsk.” The exhibition was held in the Uphagen House, a museum of historical interiors, taking up one floor of it, and it illustrated the history of public and private gardens in Gdańsk, as well as the very philosophy of gardening in the – mostly – 18th century. The exhibition was curated by Ms. Zofia Maciakowska and Ms. Katarzyna Rozmarynowska and all the (often problematic) organizational problems were expertly managed by Mr. Wojciech Szymański of the Museum.

We designed the entire exhibition: the spacial arrangement, colors, typography and all the prints displayed. The materials were fun to work with because they consisted of old maps, prints and illustrations.

The map of the Oliwa Park at the entrance to the exhibition.


While we really wanted to use real plants, the rooms didn’t have enough light and so we used artificial ivy and other plants, arranged on wooden garden constructions painted according to historical conventions (this lovely green-gray color is actually historically accurate, as we learned).


The walls were decorated with illustrative etchings and large quotes about gardening.


A close-up of the quote with the author.


The boards have different depths, with the thicker sides painted the color contrasting with the wall (pink in the green room, green in the pink room).


The typeface not only fits the conventions of the 18th century serif typefaces with their large contrast and geometrical shapes but also have decorative variants that match the etchings.


Next week we’ll show you more photos.