50 years ago in Woodstock a legendary music festival took place and some of the most exciting artists of the time performed. We always loved the music of the time and the very myth of Woodstock, with its celebration of love and peace and rock’n’roll, and we’re celebrating the anniversary with a poster.
And so we come to the final Project Doolittle cover, this one for possibly our favorite song from the album: “Debaser.”
The title is relatively short, which always allows for a more complicated (and in this case more expensive) material than the longer titles. In fact, we had some discussions about what to use for this one, one of us squeamishly opposed to meat typography. We’re not exactly vegetarian (yet, anyway) but we don’t like preparing meat ourselves and we wondered if this wouldn’t be too much to handle. However, in the end it proved, well, manageable (and a rather delicious dinner because we don’t like wasting food).
Fair warning: if you don’t like looking at close-ups of meat, you might want to skip some of the images.
So this ends “Project Doolittle”: despite a longish break between two halves of the project, in the end we managed to do all the covers. Next week we’ll show you all of them together, just in time to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the album’s release (we hope so anyway, because whenever we promise to do something on time, we tend to be late).
We’ve reached homestretch of Project Doolittle: today last but one design for “There Goes My Gun.” (Also, we know nothing about sports.)
For a metallic effect the song suggested to us, we chose to play with aluminum foil. It is one of materials we like to return to every now and then because of how flexible it is. We used the foil in three different ways to render letters, going from more three-dimensional to deconstructed.
One to go! Homestretch (or not)!
Continuing Project Doolittle, which honors the Pixies’ amazing album, we tackled “Crackity Jones” this week.
During Christmas clean-up of the house we found three jars of colored stones which were probably intended for plant pots but we had bought them with some unspecified future design project in mind. And this turned out to be the perfect opportunity to try them. (Also our older son had so much fun with helping that this turned out to be a perfect family activity, too.)
And yes, we designed the letters digitally before we made them tangible.
Front cover of the single.
Four more songs to go – and we’re working on it.